All chefs have little tricks up their sleeves! Here are some of my favorite kitchen hacks and tips to make your lives that much easier. Once you start using these helpful tips, you will wonder how you got around the kitchen without them. If you have some tips you want to share with our readers, simply leave a comment below.
1. EGG-celent way of dealing with broken shells - You can't make an omelet without breaking a few eggs. Sometimes though, you might find some broken eggshells in your mix. Don't worry, simply use your half egg shell to remove them. The shell acts like a magnet and removes the broken shells without wasting too many eggs.
2. Ginger peeling 101 - If you've tried peeling ginger with an actual peeler, you know how wasteful it can be. Instead of a peeler, grab a spoon! Simply scrape the ginger skin off by scraping it with the side of the spoon. You'll be enjoying that ginger tea in no time!
3. No more greasy soups - Making a soup and it's a little oilier than you expected? Instead of painstakingly skimming the top, simply through in a couple of ice cubes into your soup. The fat from the soup will solidify on the ice and will allow you to remove it with ease.
4. Cleaning burnt pans with ease - This is for when your friend is cooking with your pots, wink wink! Simply add a cup of water to the pot or pan. Bring the water to a boil and let it sit for 30 minutes. This should give it enough time to cool down and loosen up all the burnt food on the bottom of the pot or pan. If it was a really nasty burn, you can softly scrape the bottom with a plastic spoon while the pot is boiling to help with the cleaning.
5. Put an end to slippery cutting boards - Place a damp towel or paper napkin under your cutting board to help it not slip away. You can also use a mason jar's rubber seal or put a couple of rubber bands on each side of your cutting board.
6. Lemons to the rescue - When poaching fish in a pan, place some lemon slices down first. Not only will this help the fish not to stick, it will enhance your broth with a great lemon flavor.
7. Get rid of fruit flies for good - Simply pour some vinegar in a cup and add a couple drops of dish soap, then wrap tightly with plastic wrap. Poke a few small holes in the plastic wrap and wait for the flies to meet their match.
8. Peel that garlic in a flash - Hate peeling a head of garlic? Here's how we peel a whole head of garlic in seconds. Place the head of garlic on a cutting board. With the bottom of a bowl, press down until they are lightly crushed. Place the lightly crushed garlic in a tupperware and close the lid. Vigourously shake the garlic for 1 minute. Open the tupperware and all your garlic should be peeled now!
9. Center your egg yolk - When you absolutely have to have your egg yolk in the middle of your hard-boiled egg, or if you're just that particular, simply slowly stir the water while the egg is cooking. This will force the egg yolk to stay in the center of the egg while it cooks.
10. Faster Risottos - Sometimes stirring risotto for 45 minutes just isn't practical. Try steaming your arborio rice (1:1.5 water ratio) for 10 minutes before making your risotto. If you don't have a steamer, gently simmer the rice in lightly salted water for 15 minutes. Drain and cool until you are ready to use. This "blanched" arborio rice is ready to cook. The starch on the rice is still there and you will still get that creamy finish your risotto is famous for. Simply follow your favorite risotto recipe using your "blanched" arborio rice and enjoy in minutes!